The blue card or MTA clearance for minors traveling abroad is applicable only to those who are not accompanied by either of the biological/adoptive parents.

MTA Processing Officer Nelson Nisperos (in red shirt) while attending an application
The applicants need the following: consent of parents, birth certificate from Philippine Statistics Authority (formerly National Statistics Office), marriage certificate of parents or certificate of no marriage for solo parents, passport size colored photo with white background, and photocopy of the passport of accompanying person.
Those who have acquired dependent visa/ resident visa in other countries are exempted.

Processing Social Worker Nelson Nisperos explained the need to prioritize the MTA clearance or blue card prior to booking or scheduling of activities abroad as they might not secure one because of inconsistencies or if assessment reveals hazard to the children.

Initial assessment is done by Social Welfare Officers II assigned at Provincial Operations Offices at Luisa Bldg., Vigan City; NSO Bldg., Laoag City; Alexander Bldg., Poblacion, Urdaneta City; and Duque Bldg., Burgos St., Dagupan City.

On custody cases filed in court, the DSWD may not release any clearance unless the finality or court decision is presented. This happens to ex-couples who fight for the custody over their child/children.

The processing of clearance for minors travelling abroad ensures the legality and validity of travel as well as the travelling children’s best welfare and interest. (by: Iryn D. Cubangbang, Information Officer II)